Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Model Railroad Thread

Go down 
5 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
kc2rxo
Team Member
Team Member
kc2rxo

Male Number of posts : 65
Humor : Always drive in reverse and you will never have a head on collision!
Registration date : 2008-08-17

Model Railroad Thread - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Model Railroad Thread   Model Railroad Thread - Page 3 EmptySat Jan 03, 2009 12:11 am

Most steam locomotives like the one in the link below use something called "elephant ears."

http://www.toytrains1.com/images/trains/nyc_6000.jpg

What these do, from what I can tell and have heard, that they keep the smoke/steam from getting too far away (horizontaly) from the boiler which would block vision. Instead it diverts it upward (verticaly) into the sky so the conductor/engineer can see ahead of them. It could also make some aerodynamics on the locomotve too I have heard. Neutral scratch

Most larger locomotives use these, shunters don't usually have them. The picture above is a NYC (New York Cental) Niagara, which elephant eats were defaut to the design. It was a 4-8-4 wheel arrangement so I would said anything above that would have elephant ears.

Man, I am full of information today. bounce

Cheers,
Adam What a Face
Back to top Go down
lornyk5
Ever Present
lornyk5

Male Number of posts : 237
Registration date : 2008-09-13

PostSubject: Re: Model Railroad Thread   Model Railroad Thread - Page 3 EmptyMon Jan 12, 2009 10:13 pm

Just a small update, I've begun the scenery on one half of my model railroad that includes a new line, some rugged terrain for my 3 truck shay and a relocation of my coal mine, also a small lake.

Pictures to follow in coming days Basketball

Lorin

PS. I have also added 3 background boards that will be painted by my dear mother when she finds the time, but they are installed and made to be removable in under 10 minutes!
Back to top Go down
Ishie
Team Member
Team Member
Ishie

Male Number of posts : 635
Registration date : 2008-08-15

PostSubject: Re: Model Railroad Thread   Model Railroad Thread - Page 3 EmptyFri Jan 30, 2009 8:16 am

Back to top Go down
Smileyman
Admin
Admin
Smileyman

Male Number of posts : 116
Humor : Apparently :)
Registration date : 2008-07-08

PostSubject: Re: Model Railroad Thread   Model Railroad Thread - Page 3 EmptyFri Jan 30, 2009 9:24 am

Ishie wrote:
Longest train officially in the world

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LsuNWjRaAo&feature=related

Wow!

Whenever I'm stuck at a level crossing, they appear to have gone for a new record with the amount of wagons they've put on. Laughing

At least it seems that way.

Lorin, what happened to those photos?
I was looking forward to those. Smile

BTW guys, I've officially said goodbye to the Auran forums.
At least for the foreseeable future.
That place is a shadow of what it was, and I don't enjoy it there at all anymore.

I'm hoping to get back into Trainz in the next couple of weeks, and maybe even buy TS2009 now that there appears to be a user workaround.

Hope all goes well with the move Ish.

Smiley.
Back to top Go down
https://firstclasstrainz.forumotion.com
lornyk5
Ever Present
lornyk5

PostSubject: Re: Model Railroad Thread   Model Railroad Thread - Page 3 EmptyFri Jan 30, 2009 10:56 am

Smileyman wrote:
Ishie wrote:
Longest train officially in the world

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LsuNWjRaAo&feature=related

Wow!

Whenever I'm stuck at a level crossing, they appear to have gone for a new record with the amount of wagons they've put on. Laughing

At least it seems that way.

Lorin, what happened to those photos?
I was looking forward to those. Smile

BTW guys, I've officially said goodbye to the Auran forums.
At least for the foreseeable future.
That place is a shadow of what it was, and I don't enjoy it there at all anymore.

I'm hoping to get back into Trainz in the next couple of weeks, and maybe even buy TS2009 now that there appears to be a user workaround.

Hope all goes well with the move Ish.

Smiley.

Hi,

I got side tracked with computer problems I had to fix, but should be getting back to the model soon, BTW totally agree with the other forum thing, I just check for updates, that's about all now!

Nice to see you around again Smiley,

Lorin
Back to top Go down
scorpio48
Part of the Furniture
scorpio48

Male Number of posts : 172
Registration date : 2008-09-20

PostSubject: Re: Model Railroad Thread   Model Railroad Thread - Page 3 EmptySat Jan 31, 2009 4:21 am

Hi All,
Haven't posted for a while, bit busy.
Nice to hear from you Smiley. So far 09 is working out OK. Still has a that annoying habit of limiting the size of a route created in Transdem, no matter what computer specs you have. Apart from that I haven't had too many problems with it. The new CMP is also a big improvement over the last one. Couple of features missing from the old version which I would have liked to see retained, but we can't have everything Very Happy .
Like most of us, I'm also using Auran less. Just checking out my e-mail notifications, which are now getting few and far between, and Geophil's thread to see the advancements made towards the Transdem 09 update. I think once this occurs, my visits to Auran will be non-existing.
Lorin ::: Looking forward to the photo's,
Catch you all later.
Cheers
Pete.
Back to top Go down
lornyk5
Ever Present
lornyk5

PostSubject: Re: Model Railroad Thread   Model Railroad Thread - Page 3 EmptyFri Feb 06, 2009 11:01 pm

Hi Folks,

As some of you may know I'm building a new game rig from scratch, this will be a high end machine intended for serious gaming and won't be a cheap build.

I have been collecting parts for a couple months as money is tight and I can't just do this in one shot, so far I have a full atx tower, cpu fan, and a superclocked GTX 280 gfx card for the build.

The reason for this post is to announce painfully that I will be selling my model railroad and some of the rolling stock to help this computer build.

I will however be holding back some steam engines like my CN Hudson, Mikado, 3truck shay and a couple pieces that are hand painted....also my kids Thomas stuff! Sad

This is what happens when a man has too many hobbies in these troubled times in the world!

Fear not, when I move "again" in the spring I'll start over possibly on an L shaped HO route if I have the room in the other house!

Regards,

Lorin pale
Back to top Go down
Smileyman
Admin
Admin
Smileyman

Male Number of posts : 116
Humor : Apparently :)
Registration date : 2008-07-08

PostSubject: Re: Model Railroad Thread   Model Railroad Thread - Page 3 EmptySat Feb 07, 2009 5:30 pm

Yep.

Too many hobbies, not enough money, and not enough time. Very Happy
Isn't it always the way.

Because I'm waiting on Auran to fix TS09 for my particular problem (I'm still hoping), I've moved pretty much all my spare time onto coding, and being knee-deep in page after page of C++ is just as much fun as Trainz.

No, really it is. Smile

Good luck selling your models and building your new rig.

Smiley.
Back to top Go down
https://firstclasstrainz.forumotion.com
lornyk5
Ever Present
lornyk5

PostSubject: Re: Model Railroad Thread   Model Railroad Thread - Page 3 EmptySat Feb 07, 2009 6:08 pm

Smileyman wrote:
Yep.

Too many hobbies, not enough money, and not enough time. Very Happy
Isn't it always the way.

Because I'm waiting on Auran to fix TS09 for my particular problem (I'm still hoping), I've moved pretty much all my spare time onto coding, and being knee-deep in page after page of C++ is just as much fun as Trainz.

No, really it is. Smile

Good luck selling your models and building your new rig.

Smiley.

Thanks Smiley, I'm sure it will all come together with some patience, ohh wait I don't have any of that! lol!

Cheers,

Lorin
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Model Railroad Thread   Model Railroad Thread - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Model Railroad Thread
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3