Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Model Railroad Thread

Go down 
5 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
lornyk5
Ever Present
lornyk5

Male Number of posts : 237
Registration date : 2008-09-13

Model Railroad Thread Empty
PostSubject: Model Railroad Thread   Model Railroad Thread EmptyMon Nov 24, 2008 8:49 am

A thread for sharing model railroad stuff. Below are some pics of my locos, later I'll post links to my layout. It's still very much in boxes as I moved recently!

Diesels

Steamers

Lorin rendeer
Back to top Go down
Ishie
Team Member
Team Member
Ishie

Male Number of posts : 635
Registration date : 2008-08-15

PostSubject: Re: Model Railroad Thread   Model Railroad Thread EmptyMon Nov 24, 2008 9:45 am

Your steamer collection looks awesome Lorin!!! cheers

Ishie
Back to top Go down
lornyk5
Ever Present
lornyk5

PostSubject: Re: Model Railroad Thread   Model Railroad Thread EmptyMon Nov 24, 2008 10:48 am

Thanks Ish,

I hope to start working on my model layout soon, I miss running that Mikado and Hudson!

Lorin bounce
Back to top Go down
Ishie
Team Member
Team Member
Ishie

PostSubject: Re: Model Railroad Thread   Model Railroad Thread EmptyMon Nov 24, 2008 11:31 am

Seriously, you should model it also in trainz ... there's plenty HOs etc layout at the DLS!!

Ishie
Back to top Go down
scorpio48
Part of the Furniture
scorpio48

Male Number of posts : 172
Registration date : 2008-09-20

PostSubject: Re: Model Railroad Thread   Model Railroad Thread EmptyMon Nov 24, 2008 1:20 pm

Hi Lorin,

That takes me back to my model railway, Used up my whole attic///loft.
Sadly it went years ago, sold in an auction when we moved to a smaller house (Children grew up and moved out).
May be still running somewhere in Europe Smile .

I recall an old 0-6-0 dockyard tank shunter I had. The tips of its wheels were rubberized, Boy, that could pull-push anything, I debated for a long time whether to put it in the auction.

I do remember, the hobby cost a small fortune, compared to virtual railroading Very Happy Very Happy .

Anyway, I love your collection, even slightly envious Smile .

Looking forward to seeing some photo's as you progress.

Cheers
Pete.
Back to top Go down
lornyk5
Ever Present
lornyk5

PostSubject: Re: Model Railroad Thread   Model Railroad Thread EmptyMon Nov 24, 2008 1:41 pm

Thanks for the positive comments guys, I will post up more as I go, I also have lots of rolling stock, some older die cast hoppers I'm rebuilding for the shay to pull and some real nice old passenger cars in the 1954 CNR paint sceme, all packed in boxes.

I might model the route when it's done as a small HO route to play trainz on. Good idea Ish! Very Happy

Yes it's an expensive hobby Pete, would of loved to see your route, did you keep some photos?

I'm waiting for this piece to come, it's been pre-ordered(to keep my pass. warm in winter) Laughing

Steam Gen Car

Cheers,

Lorin
Back to top Go down
Smileyman
Admin
Admin
Smileyman

Male Number of posts : 116
Humor : Apparently :)
Registration date : 2008-07-08

PostSubject: Re: Model Railroad Thread   Model Railroad Thread EmptyMon Nov 24, 2008 5:53 pm

Lovely looking locos lorin. (4 L's Very Happy )

I haven't had a model railway for more than 30 years!

You have reminded me of something that I've been thinking of adding to this site.
Would anyone be interested in a list of model railway plans, either our own, or from the Internet.

What I had in mind was a locked thread in the public forum, where I could add peoples recommendations one by one, using a visually pleasing style for all the layouts, with Plan Name, Author Name, Era, Style, etc, and a detailed picture of the plan.

The idea would be to display the best of the plans out there, so that both Train Modellers and Trainz Users could use them.

Any thoughts?

Smiley.
Back to top Go down
https://firstclasstrainz.forumotion.com
Ishie
Team Member
Team Member
Ishie

PostSubject: Re: Model Railroad Thread   Model Railroad Thread EmptyMon Nov 24, 2008 7:00 pm

Smileyman wrote:
Lovely looking locos lorin. (4 L's Very Happy )

I haven't had a model railway for more than 30 years!

You have reminded me of something that I've been thinking of adding to this site.
Would anyone be interested in a list of model railway plans, either our own, or from the Internet.

What I had in mind was a locked thread in the public forum, where I could add peoples recommendations one by one, using a visually pleasing style for all the layouts, with Plan Name, Author Name, Era, Style, etc, and a detailed picture of the plan.

The idea would be to display the best of the plans out there, so that both Train Modellers and Trainz Users could use them.

Any thoughts?

Smiley.

Hey Brian,

Forgive me my dear friend, I don't quite understand ... Sometimes my brain just locks me out!! affraid

Ishie
Back to top Go down
scorpio48
Part of the Furniture
scorpio48

PostSubject: Re: Model Railroad Thread   Model Railroad Thread EmptyTue Nov 25, 2008 6:46 am

Hi Smiley,

Although my model railway day are long over, I think its a good idea.

When I was into model RWs, the only chance us modelers had of getting together was if we met up in our favorite model shop. (Down the Gower). There were a few clubs in Swansea, but these were run by people who's only interest seemed to be making a fast buck.

Cheers
Pete.
Back to top Go down
Ishie
Team Member
Team Member
Ishie

PostSubject: Re: Model Railroad Thread   Model Railroad Thread EmptyTue Nov 25, 2008 8:33 am

scorpio48 wrote:
Hi Smiley,

Although my model railway day are long over, I think its a good idea.

When I was into model RWs, the only chance us modelers had of getting together was if we met up in our favorite model shop. (Down the Gower). There were a few clubs in Swansea, but these were run by people who's only interest seemed to be making a fast buck.

Cheers
Pete.

Oh, I see now ... rendeer

Ishie cherry
Back to top Go down
Smileyman
Admin
Admin
Smileyman

Male Number of posts : 116
Humor : Apparently :)
Registration date : 2008-07-08

PostSubject: Re: Model Railroad Thread   Model Railroad Thread EmptyTue Nov 25, 2008 8:47 am

Hi Guys.
What I had in mind was something like this.

Either picking your favourite Model Trackplans from the Internet, or your favourite own-created plans, and writing a few comments as to why you like the plan, send it to me and I'll take all that, as well as a screenshot of the plan, and I'll produce something like this in the locked thread:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Picture of Plan goes in this box........................................................................................

Comments by ?????? ?????
I first found this trackplan, blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah.
blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah, blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah.
blah blah blah blah blah blah.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Obviously it would be a lot tidier than that.

I've always liked to create these small layouts in Trainz (I think Trainz is perfect for these types of layouts), but when I search the Internet, there's a lot of layouts out there, and I tend to spend more time searching than building.
And if Trainz Layouts are created for these, then we can show the download link.

Also, those who do still create model layouts could benefit too.

Smiley.
Back to top Go down
https://firstclasstrainz.forumotion.com
lornyk5
Ever Present
lornyk5

PostSubject: Re: Model Railroad Thread   Model Railroad Thread EmptyTue Nov 25, 2008 8:51 am

I think it's a fine idea Smileyman, there's tons of great plans and could be utilized in trainz or scale modeling as you said, I would certainly contribute.....

Lorin rendeer
Back to top Go down
Ishie
Team Member
Team Member
Ishie

PostSubject: Re: Model Railroad Thread   Model Railroad Thread EmptyTue Nov 25, 2008 9:04 am

I have a few books here Track Model 101, I think is the title .... not sure until I dive into th walk in closet and go nut searching for it. Lots of good track plan in that book. Especially the trolley section. cheers

Ishie
Back to top Go down
scorpio48
Part of the Furniture
scorpio48

PostSubject: Re: Model Railroad Thread   Model Railroad Thread EmptyWed Nov 26, 2008 5:08 pm

lornyk5 wrote:
Thanks for the positive comments guys,

Yes it's an expensive hobby Pete, would of loved to see your route, did you keep some photos?

Steam Gen Car

Cheers,

Lorin

Hi Lorin,
Sorry friend, I missed this reply. I did take quite a few photographs and an 8mm cine reel film of it all running. Sadly, I haven't seen them for years. Hopefully they're locked in some trunk or box, in the attic//loft (one of those covered with cobwebs Smile ).
One of these days my Mrs or myself will get around to opening them for a sort out. Honestly, it will be like opening Aladdin's Cave. 40 plus, years of memories Smile . Funny enough, we've often talked about it, but never got around to it.

Something to amuse the grandchildren I guess when this world decides to kick us both into the next plain. Long time yet I hope. Very Happy

Cheers
Pete.
Back to top Go down
lornyk5
Ever Present
lornyk5

PostSubject: Re: Model Railroad Thread   Model Railroad Thread EmptyWed Nov 26, 2008 8:17 pm

scorpio48 wrote:
lornyk5 wrote:
Thanks for the positive comments guys,

Steam Gen Car

Cheers,

Lorin

Hi Lorin,
Sorry friend, I missed this reply. I did take quite a few photographs and an 8mm cine reel film of it all running. Sadly, I haven't seen them for years. Hopefully they're locked in some trunk or box, in the attic//loft (one of those covered with cobwebs Smile ).
One of these days my Mrs or myself will get around to opening them for a sort out. Honestly, it will be like opening Aladdin's Cave. 40 plus, years of memories Smile . Funny enough, we've often talked about it, but never got around to it.

Something to amuse the grandchildren I guess when this world decides to kick us both into the next plain. Long time yet I hope. Very Happy

Cheers
Pete.

No worries Pete, I'm sure your grandchildren will enjoy the memories when you decide to open the treasure chest! pirat

Lorin
Back to top Go down
Ishie
Team Member
Team Member
Ishie

PostSubject: Re: Model Railroad Thread   Model Railroad Thread EmptyThu Nov 27, 2008 12:46 pm

Hi Lorin,

Check your mail, my dear friend!!

Model Railroad Thread Billboardcanada

Ishie santa
Back to top Go down
lornyk5
Ever Present
lornyk5

PostSubject: Re: Model Railroad Thread   Model Railroad Thread EmptyThu Nov 27, 2008 1:27 pm

Awesome job, (you have mail)

Cheers,

Lorin
Back to top Go down
Ishie
Team Member
Team Member
Ishie

PostSubject: Re: Model Railroad Thread   Model Railroad Thread EmptyFri Nov 28, 2008 4:51 pm

Hi Lorin,

Check this thread out -- you might like:

http://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?t=33766

Ishie cheers
Back to top Go down
lornyk5
Ever Present
lornyk5

PostSubject: Re: Model Railroad Thread   Model Railroad Thread EmptyFri Nov 28, 2008 5:16 pm

Ishie wrote:
Hi Lorin,

Check this thread out -- you might like:

http://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?t=33766

Ishie cheers

Nice pics Ish, wish they would put that Bigboy inside a building before it's gone for good! Makes me want to puke!

Lorin
Back to top Go down
lornyk5
Ever Present
lornyk5

PostSubject: Re: Model Railroad Thread   Model Railroad Thread EmptySun Nov 30, 2008 3:23 am

A few pics, no scenery yet, maybe this winter....I have the materials, just no time! Very Happy
Model Railroad Thread Dsc01418qi2

Model Railroad Thread Dsc01414te1

Model Railroad Thread Dsc01406rn1

Lorin Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Ishie
Team Member
Team Member
Ishie

PostSubject: Re: Model Railroad Thread   Model Railroad Thread EmptySun Nov 30, 2008 3:31 am

That's looks awesome Lorin ... lol!

I wish I had space to built my own ....

Hey, I am going to make that shed for you Lorin ... when you fine time take more pictures of it, and post it here!! cheers

Ishie
Back to top Go down
scorpio48
Part of the Furniture
scorpio48

PostSubject: Re: Model Railroad Thread   Model Railroad Thread EmptySun Nov 30, 2008 3:39 am

Hi Lorin,
Very smart.
What size is the base-board, it looks like 8 X 4 Feet.
Can I be so bold as to make a suggestion when you add scenery:-
On the track against the wall, before the junction/switch, a bent piece of card, suitably textured (Pine Trees Etc) would make a great tunnel, and add height and character to the layout
Only a suggestion. Hope you don't mind.

A very rough example

Model Railroad Thread Sample

Cheers
Pete

Last edited by scorpio48 on Sun Nov 30, 2008 4:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
lornyk5
Ever Present
lornyk5

PostSubject: Re: Model Railroad Thread   Model Railroad Thread EmptySun Nov 30, 2008 4:08 am

scorpio48 wrote:
Hi Lorin,
Very smart.
What size is the base-board, it looks like 8 X 4 Feet.
Can I be so bold as to make a suggestion when you add scenery:-
On the track against the wall, before the junction/switch, a bent piece of card, suitably textured (Pine Trees Etc) would make a great tunnel, and add height and character to the layout
Only a suggestion. Hope you don't mind.
Cheers
Pete.

@Ish, thanks, and yep I'll take some good pics of that roundhouse for you!

@Pete, Hi it's 8x4, all the room I had to work with, thanks for the tip Pete(good idea) if you look at the picture see that bridge sitting there by itself, well on the other side of that mining building across the the table is a wye track, I plan on joining them with a mountain(for my shay), and I have some tunnel portals for the mining track, also my mother is a artist and I sweet talked her into painting a back board for the layout.

I have a boat load of woodland scenics supplies like portals, plaster cloth, fake water beads to melt, just need some twine for dry weeds and a lottery ticket for the trees. lol!

And of coarse I'm open to ideas from you fellas as I go this winter, feel free to offer any advice!

Lorin

Edit:Pete, I believe I will borrow that idea from you for that area, thank you!
Back to top Go down
Ishie
Team Member
Team Member
Ishie

PostSubject: Re: Model Railroad Thread   Model Railroad Thread EmptySun Nov 30, 2008 5:52 am

Hey Lorin,

You should duplicate the layout in trainz!!! cheers cheers

Ishie
Back to top Go down
scorpio48
Part of the Furniture
scorpio48

PostSubject: Re: Model Railroad Thread   Model Railroad Thread EmptySun Nov 30, 2008 8:14 am

Hi

Didn't notice until now;
My youngest Grandson would love your layout. He's a 'Thomas the Tank' fanatic Laughing Laughing

Pete
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Model Railroad Thread   Model Railroad Thread Empty

Back to top Go down

Model Railroad Thread
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next