Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Under Construction.

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
scorpio48
Part of the Furniture
scorpio48

Male Number of posts : 172
Registration date : 2008-09-20

Under Construction. Empty
PostSubject: Under Construction.   Under Construction. EmptyTue Oct 21, 2008 2:37 pm

Hi All,
First this is going to be a rather long post, but I hope you all find it interesting and enjoy, especially Smiley & Co.
It may also save two sets of identical 'Parts of Routes' currently being constructed.
I have named my route 'SW_Wales', but this will change as soon as I think of an alternative name, to save confusion. Any ideas welcomed.
I will give details of my route below, from East to West, including active industries I intend to include.

• Start: Plle with double Portal, possibly an iPortal for external linking, although I've never used these, so I'll have to read up on them.
  • Port Talbot: Passengers. Margam Steel Works, input coal, iron-ore: output; sheet and rolled steel. Docks; Iron-Ore Terminal.
  • Baglan Passengers, local service.
  • Britton Ferry: Local service. Junction for loop line (included) to Llandarcy Oil Refinery: Now mostly used for oil storage. Swansea Docks: Coal, Timber, General Goods. Alternative goods line to West Wales but used twice a week for an HST service from England to Fishguard Harbour, Irish Ferry Terminal. This line by-passes Swansea Terminal.
  • Neath: Main Station, National. Most Northern point of the GWR in Wales.
  • Swansea: GWR 4 Track Terminal, Paddington to Wales. Loco Service and repair yard 1/2 mile from station.
  • Llansamlet: Main junction from Swansea, GWR to West Wales.
  • Cockett: Station disused since Beaching Cuts, but contains longest tunnel on this line.
  • Gowerton: Local Passengers. Small single line station. Single line since cuts.
  • Loughor: Old trestle crossing Loughor Estuary.
  • Trostre: Steel Works. I beleive they now produce Tin, more research needed. input coal, raw materials.
  • Llanelli: (Pronounced Llan-eth-e-ly for our non-welsh friends) Passengers. (To pronounce the LL, roll back your tongue so the tip touches the roof of your mouth and say L, here concludes my Welsh lessons Smile )
  • Pembray: Small Station. Local Passengers. Missile and Munitions testing range nearby. Transportation not known at present.
  • Cefn Sidan: Small Station Passengers, Small Airport in sight of main line.
  • Ferry-side: Small station along the coast line. Busy in the summer months. Passengers.
  • Carmarthen: Small Terminal with small loop-line for goods trains, Passengers. (All Change for Western Stations)
  • Whitland: Small Station Passengers. Start of branch line (included), mostly Holiday Route, Temby Etc. Terminating at Pembroke Dock, Oil Terminal (Opposite side of Milford Haven). Oil mainly carried by road tanker.
  • Clarbeston Road: Start of main branch line to Milford Haven (Included).
  • Milford Haven Major, Natural Deep water harbour. One of the main inputs of oil and gas to the UK. Ability to naturally take Super Tankers. Massive Oil and Gas industry. Specially constructed branch rail line to take the immense rail tanker traffic.
  • Fishguard: Terminal Station and end of my route. Passenger service serving one of the main Irish Ferry terminals.

I haven't mentioned all of the stations, mostly small country stations, or the smaller industries which use the rail network. Most of the line/branch lines and stations are serviced by Arriva Trains.
From start to finish.'As the crow flies (straight line) the distance is 61.68 UK miles (99.27Km) excluding branch lines, loops, sidings Etc. As the main route twist and turns to bypass the rugged terrain I would hate to guess the actual track length, but it would treble those figures at least.
I am using Track (3.5 UK Standard), Junctions(Switches) and Invisible Stations by Andi06, personal choice, station buildings are done by 'yours truly' but I haven't mastered passenger capability. I'm using Transdem for the Terrain. (I doubt if I would of started this particular route if I had to do the terrain manually Crying or Very sad ).
If any locals read this and disagree with any of my research Etc, I would be grateful if you could let me know, same if I've missed a vital industry Etc.
When I find a decent site where I can upload some screen-shots I'll give it a go.
Hope I haven't been a boar, looking forward to some feedback
Cheers
Pete.
Back to top Go down
kc2rxo
Team Member
Team Member
kc2rxo

Male Number of posts : 65
Humor : Always drive in reverse and you will never have a head on collision!
Registration date : 2008-08-17

PostSubject: Re: Under Construction.   Under Construction. EmptyTue Oct 21, 2008 5:51 pm

A very well thought out plan! It sounds like you are using a real line with a bit of fictional background in it. Cant wait to see how this one turns out Pete.

Cheers,
Adam What a Face
Back to top Go down
Ishie
Team Member
Team Member
Ishie

Male Number of posts : 635
Registration date : 2008-08-15

PostSubject: Re: Under Construction.   Under Construction. EmptyWed Oct 22, 2008 3:23 am

Wow, Pete ... that's sure a full plate. Can't wait to see the end-results!

Ishie
Back to top Go down
scorpio48
Part of the Furniture
scorpio48

PostSubject: Re: Under Construction.   Under Construction. EmptyWed Oct 22, 2008 5:51 am

Thanks Guys,
Don't hold your breath though, its going to take some time lol!
Cheers
Pete.
Back to top Go down
scorpio48
Part of the Furniture
scorpio48

PostSubject: Afterthought   Under Construction. EmptyWed Oct 22, 2008 9:50 am

Hi Adam
Not sure where your from, but reading your reply you seem local.
Its not so-much fictional, but in truth, I have re-kindled quite a bit of history.
I can remember a time when Swansea Docks was brimming with coal and coal ships (Colliers) all for export back then.
The height of the summer holidays were a trip on 'Puffin Billy' (local nickname) pulling coaches full of Sunday School Kids on a trip to Ferry-side. I know its really based in an estuary, but those days it was the coast, and the distant shore was full of Pirates and Treasure. As 'Max Boyce' would say, "I know, I was there" . Your right, Fictional Fantasy Very Happy .
I was thinking of basing my route in the 50s, but then I thought of the all the coal dust and smog over our towns and cities (We only had two cities in those days, can you name the other one besides Cardiff Question ).
In short, Its a modern day real-layout, with quite a bit of history, from the times when rail transport was in its hay-day, thrown in.
Of course, if I've made a blunder with any other info, please let me know, it will be really appreciated.
Cheers
Pete.
Back to top Go down
class143
Team Member
Team Member
class143

Male Number of posts : 128
Registration date : 2008-08-19

PostSubject: Re: Under Construction.   Under Construction. EmptyWed Oct 22, 2008 11:28 am

Sounds excellent pete Very Happy Always nice to see routes from south Wales Very Happy

\Jamie
Back to top Go down
kc2rxo
Team Member
Team Member
kc2rxo

Male Number of posts : 65
Humor : Always drive in reverse and you will never have a head on collision!
Registration date : 2008-08-17

PostSubject: Re: Under Construction.   Under Construction. EmptyWed Oct 22, 2008 5:22 pm

Hi Pete,

I am actually not a local of where you are from. I live in Moravia NY, United States Of America. Very Happy
I'm a long way off from where you call local. Razz

Anyway, once again sounds like a fantastic idea.

Cheers,
Adam What a Face
Back to top Go down
scorpio48
Part of the Furniture
scorpio48

PostSubject: Re: Under Construction.   Under Construction. EmptyMon Oct 27, 2008 2:23 pm

kc2rxo wrote:
Hi Pete,

I am actually not a local of where you are from. I live in Moravia NY, United States Of America. Very Happy
I'm a long way off from where you call local. Razz

Anyway, once again sounds like a fantastic idea.

Cheers,
Adam What a Face

Hi Adam,
Thanks Matey,.
We live on the same Planet. I guess that makes us Local lol! .

Cheers
Pete

PS: To All; Going well, main and tile raster's finished in Transdem, Marshaling yard in Margam completed and tested.
Thanks for the encouragement.
Pete.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Under Construction.   Under Construction. Empty

Back to top Go down

Under Construction.
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: General Forums :: General Discussion-
Jump to: